Update and Maintenance of WEEE-Tools
10 months ago Ruediger Kuehr Comments Off on Update and Maintenance of WEEE-Tools
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) – the Sustainable Cycles Programme (SCYCLE), currently in transition from United Nations University (UNU) to the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), has been selected to perform the Service Contract No 070201/2019/811039/SER/ENV.B.3 “Update and maintenance of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Calculation Tool developed under the study contract No. 070307/2013/667383/ETU/ENV.A2.”
On the basis of the Commission Implementing Regulation 2017/699 and establishing a common methodology for the calculation of the weight of EEE placed on the national market and for the calculation of the quantity of WEEE generated, the Commission makes publicly available WEEE calculation tools customized for each Member State.
The ultimate scope of the Project is to optimize the usability of the WCTs, by updating the data and improving their functionality. The execution period of this project will be four years, from January 2020 to December 2023, and will cover several key tasks.
In particular, the update of the WCTs will be achieved through the following steps:
– Review of the UNU-KEYs description and their correlation with the CN, PROMCOM codes, and other relevant parameters (e.g. lifespan, average weight).
– Produce datasets for EEE POM and WEEE for the timeline 1980-most recent years.
– Improve in functionality and user-friendliness and receive stakeholder’s proposals.
Then, the usage of the WCTs should be spread among the key-stakeholders and the Member States by:
– Analyzing and tailoring the WCTs according to their needs.
– Developing training materials and capacity building opportunities for the Member States.